Click on mini map to enlarge
Wilderness National Park
In the heart of South Africa's famous Garden Route, a charming world of lakes, rivers, estuaries and beaches gently unfolds against a backdrop of lush forest and lofty mountains – all elements that characterise the Wilderness National Park.
Nature trails wind through densely wooded forest and along tranquil rivers, affording you the opportunity to encounter the brilliantly coloured Knysna lourie, or one of the five kingfisher species that occur here. During the spring, a carpet of flowers, further enhancing the verdant beauty of this wetland national park surrounds the lakes.
The exceptionally beautiful Knysna National Lake Area is home to the endangered Knysna seahorse and a large diversity of marine life. Sandbanks and salt marshes teem with life and in turn provide food to an immeasurable number of organisms.
Dominated by the craggy bastions of the twin Knysna Heads, the lagoon has borne witness to centuries of trade in timber, ivory and gold. The Lake Area enjoys a temperate climate and visitors can revel in the warm summer sun.
How to get there
Knysna lies on the scenic Garden Route, some 500 km from Cape Town and approximately 300 km from Port Elizabeth. Rental facilities and a national airport can also be found at George, some 70 km from Knysna.
Wilderness National Park is situated close to the N2 highway, 2 km from Wilderness Village, 15 km from George, 315 km from Port Elizabeth and 415 km from Cape Town. The closest airport is at George, where car hire facilities are available. Access and internal roads are gravelled.
Guests visiting Wilderness Ebb & Flow camp, please note the road sign on the N2 to the Park reads Wilderness National Park and not Ebb & Flow.
Knysna National Lake Area offers no accommodation,
but the picturesque town of Knysna provides a wide variety of privately run accommodation.
Check-in: 12:00, Check-out: 9:00
Ebb & Flow Restcamp (South)
- All accommodation is serviced daily and provided with bedding, towels and soap.
- 4-bed family cottages, each with two bedrooms, one bathroom (bath), open plan, partially equipped kitchen with microwave. Please indicate whether you would prefer a double bed and 2 singles, or 4 singles, subject to availability.
- 4-bed log cottages on wooden stilts, each with two bedrooms, one bathroom (bath and shower), open plan, partially equipped kitchen with microwave. Please indicate whether you would prefer a double bed and 2 singles, or 4 singles, subject to availability.
- Forest Cabins – 4 beds and 2 beds – ablutions and partially equipped kitchens, communal kitchen for cooking.
Ebb & Flow Restcamp (North)
- 2-bed rondavels, each with bathroom (shower) and basic kitchen equipment, no microwave.
- 2-bed rondavels, communal ablution facilities and basic kitchen equipment, no microwave.
- Both restcamps have caravan and camp sites on banks of the Touw River, communal ablution and scullery facilities.
- Some sites at Ebb & Flow Restcamp (South) are equipped with 220V power points for caravan plugs only. (Adapter needed for 3-point plugs).
- Portable braais are supplied - enquire at reception.
A maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one autovilla or one motorised caravan will be permitted per site.
- Bathing, rowing, fishing, at Wilderness beach, the Touw River and some of the lakes.
- Water-skiing is restricted to Island Lake and Swartvlei.
- Pedal boats and canoes may be hired. (Eden Adventures - +27 (0)44 877 0179)
- 6 hiking trails of varying distances.
- Bird hides at Langvlei and Rondevlei.
- DSTV and table tennis in communal area.
- Volleyball and basketball
- Mountain biking
- Abseiling / Kloofing
Many facilities are available in the towns of Wilderness, Knysna and George. At Ebb & Flow South Restcamp:
- No shop; no restaurant; vending machines are available.
- Laundromat and dryer.
Temperate coastal climate with rain occurring throughout the year. September and October reflect the highest rainfall figures. The region enjoys sunny days for 50% to 60% of the year.